LEGAL AID FOR GENDER VIOLENCE AND CHILD ABUSE VICTIMS
Nyayagraha, Center for Equity Studies, GUJARAT
$ 12,500 (2013-present)
The projects aim to build capacity and empower the local communities in creating a violence-free environment for their women and children.
- Network of community legal activists (Nyayapathiks) and advocates
- Legal support to victims of domestic violence and child sexual abuse
- Workshops and community meetings for awareness of existing rights and entitlements pertaining to domestic violence and sexual violence on children, Right to Education, RTI, rights of minorities and knowledge and tools to report the crimes.
- Training 300 activists and 150 police officers
- Resolve conflicts by facilitating dialogue between disputed parties to reach amicable solutions before taking up legal battles
- Research and advocacy for access of victims from marginalized sections of the community to the criminal justice system
- Collaboration with UNICEF, partnerships with schools
- Resolution of most of the domestic violence cases (43).
- Assisted in 23 cases of child sexual abuse; 160 more cases in 2015.