EMPOWERMENT OF LABORERS THROUGH NREGA
Rural Development Service Society, ANDHRA PRADESH
$ 8,200 (2009-2010)
This project generates awareness on NREGA (National Rural Employment Guarantee Act), ensuring that works are assigned and properly carried out as per village gram sabha decisions and expose irregularities in wage payment.
- Regular trainings for laborers on applying for job cards, getting receipts, measuring work done at the NREGA site, examining muster rolls, wage payments, conditions of the work place.
- Interim order from High Court of Andhra Pradesh to increase the state NREGA wages from Rs. 80 to Rs. 121/day.
- Efforts to integrate NREGA wage with minimum wage (Rs 125/day).
- Toll free phone to register complaints with District vigilance officers
- 5 field assistants removed due to irregularities in wage payments.
- Advocated various changes in NREGA and decentralization of the law